Caldo Verde is a favorite soup recipe of ours. It is a potato, sausage and greens soup, but very easy to substitute out for what you may have. Traditionally, it’s made with Linguica sausage, but we made the soup with chorizo and some kielbasa, and a mix of Kale and Collard Greens, since that was what was available at the time. You can use any type of sausage you may have on hand, Italian sausage, salami, chorizo, etc.
2 yellow onions
2 T minced garlic
1 lb Chorizo
.5 lb Kielbasa
8c Chicken Stock
2 lb Russet potatoes cubed
.5 lb Kale or Collards stems removed, sliced thin
Saute the Kielbasa and Chorizo (or whatever sausage you plan on using) in a dash of olive oil. Once browned drain and transfer to a container.
Saute the onions and garlic in a dash of olive oil.
Once fully cooked, add the chicken stock and potatoes to the pot. I love my Lodge Dutch Oven. I’ve had it for years and use it every time I make soup!
Let cook for about 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender. You can mash some of the potatoes to make the soup thicker, but it’s purely optional. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once the potatoes are done, add the greens of your choice, and the sausage back into the pot. The greens wont need to cook very long, and we don’t want them to overcook, so we add them right at the end.
Looks delicious doesn’t it? Once the greens are tender, serve!
- Olive Oil for sauteing
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1 lb Chorizo
- .5 lb Kielbasa
- 8c Chicken Stock
- 2 lb Russet potatoes cubed
- .5 lb Kale or Collards stems removed, sliced thin
- Saute the sausage in a dutch oven with a dash of olive oil. Once the sausage is browned, drain and transfer to a container.
- In the pot, sweat the onions and garlic in a dash of olive oil.
- Add the chicken stock and cubed potatoes.
- Bring to boil and lower heat.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Cook 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Once potatoes are tender, add greens and the browned sausage and cook for another 10 minutes.
- You can use any type of sausage and greens with this dish. We used a Kale/Collard Green mix, and Chorizo and Kielbasa sausage.
Email Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org