Asian inspired dishes are one of the things we make around here most often. Unfortunately, there are so many noodle and rice-based dishes, or sauces heavy on sugar. I’ve been trying to lighten up many of our meals, so I replaced the noodles with bean sprouts in this case! We have an amazing little Asian market near us, and they sell huge bags of fresh bean sprouts very cheap. I couldn’t resist buying a bag and making a big stir fry with them! When cooked, they make a great substitute for noodles. This stir fry is light and not very saucy, just the way I like it. Feel free to adjust to your liking though!
You will need:
1/3 cup soy sauce (more or less to your taste)
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 medium onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1lb raw peeled and deveined large shrimp
4 cups fresh bean sprouts
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 cups snow peas
3-4 leaves of Thai basil (optional)
Start by prepping your veggies. If you want to add any other things like peppers, mushrooms, etc, do so! This is a very versatile dish. I like to steam my broccoli in a microwave steamer for about 2-3 minutes to just start the cooking process. I like it still crunchy in the end, but not raw tasting.
In a little oil, saute your onion and garlic until the onion is just translucent. You could also add ginger and/or lemongrass if you like. I just didn’t have any on hand.
Add in your sprouts, broccoli, snow peas, and any other veggies you prepped. Tear the Thai basil leaves into pieces and add in. Pour in your sesame oil and soy sauce.
Once the bean sprouts start to soften, add in the shrimp and cook until the shrimp is pink and opaque!
At this point, you can add in more soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, or any other add ins you like. Enjoy!
Low Carb Shrimp and Bean Sprout Stir Fry
- 1/3 cup soy sauce more or less to your taste
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb raw peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 4 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups snow peas
- 3-4 leaves of Thai basil optional
- Steam the broccoli in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Prep all veggies beforehand to have ready to go,
- Saute the onion and garlic in a little oil until the onion is translucent.
- Add in all veggies, the soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- When the sprouts start to soften, add in the shrimp. Cook until pink and translucent
- Top your stir fry bowl with more soy sauce or chili garlic sauce if you like. Enjoy!
Email Michelle at email@example.com
Latest posts by Michelle (see all)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt Popsicles - June 5, 2019
- The Jelly Bean Prayer Jar and Coloring Sheet Printable - March 20, 2019
- Fun Dr. Seuss Crafts for Dr. Seuss Day! - February 27, 2019