I have been on a low carb/kinda keto diet for a while now. Sometimes I mess up and add carbs back in but I certainly try not to. I feel so much better when I am eating a low carb diet! My husband and I both love Indian and Asian style foods so I have been working on adapting some of our favorite recipes for our new lifestyle. This Low Carb Chicken Tikka Masala is one of the first I adapted.
Low Carb Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or chicken thighs cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons smokedpaprika
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and melt
- Add onions and cook until they begin to brown on the edges.
- Add chicken with salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken on all sides and continue cooking over medium-low heat until done. Push chicken to one side of the skillet.
- One the other side of the skillet stir in coriander, cumin, paprika, cardamon, cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Cook for about two minutes, stirring constantly, to toast spices. Push chicken and spices back together.
- Add tomato paste, ginger and cream. Increase heat to medium to simmer, then turn the heat to low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
I like to serve over steamed broccoli or with cauliflower rice. If you like spicy food you may want to add a bit more cayenne!
Contact Robyn at Robyn@theneighborhoodmoms.com
Latest posts by Robyn (see all)
- Tips to Protect your Baby During Cold and Flu Season - February 15, 2019
- Keto Friendly Ranch Dressing - February 14, 2019
- Low Carb Thai Crispy Chicken - February 12, 2019